Deepawali means– sweets and snacks. Both of them are mostly fried and have a high level of Cholesterol and Triglyceride. But our culture is so that everyone you visit in India during these days will offer these high-fat foods. These are not only bad for diabetes, high BP, obesity, and heart disease but they also had to increased incidence of heart attack during the festival time.
SAAOL – the Science Of Art And Living – heart centre has created 151 sweets and 151 snacks without oil – which can prove to be a lifesaver. The taste of these sweets and snacks are so good that people do not feel deprived in any way. Dr. Bimal Chhajer, MD, Ex Consultant of AIIMS & director of SAAOL Heart Centre, advises heart patients to stick to these hundreds of zero oil recipes to save them from heart attack. These can be easily prepared at everyone’s home.
The main ingredients of sweets – milk/milk products like ghee are full of cholesterol and oil used to fry these food items are triglycerides. Both are very bad for heart attack – according to Dr. Bimal Chhajer.
He advises people to send fruits and zero oil snacks (SAAOL has produced almost 15 kinds of them) to their friends and relatives. SAAOL advises to heart patients – yoga, walking, stress management and allopathic drugs along with zero oil food to prevent them from bypass surgery or angioplasty or heart attack. SAAOL has 85 centres across India and abroad.
According to Dr. Bimal Chhajer, dry fruits like cashews, almond, walnut, groundnut, coconut, pistachios are
also full of fats named triglycerides and are very bad for the heart.
Some Zero Oil Sweets recipes:
- Boil milk to the condensed milk stage. Add Kesar and cook continuously in an open pan on a high flame.
- Add the powdered sugar, grated carrot, rosewater, and cardamom and continue cooking till the mixture leave the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the pan, shape into burfis and serve.
- Dry roast suji until it become golden brown.
- Then add sugar and cardamom. Stir it continuously.
- Now add water. Stir quickly with a spatula taking care that no lumps form. Cook till halwa leaves the sides of pan.
- Serve hot.
- Make syrup of sugar and water.
- Dry roast besan and semolina in a pan on slow fire till light brown.
- Stir constantly until the mixture emits a characteristic flavour.
- Remove from fire. Add Haldi and powdered cardamom and let it cool slightly.
- Add sugar syrup to roasted besan.
- Form into laddoos and serve.
Zero Oil/Low Fat Cake
- Dust the container with refined flour and put cinnamon powder on base.
- Bring milk to boil. Add lemon juice dissolved in 1 teaspoon of water drop by drop to the boiling milk. the milk should not curdle completely.
- Keep on stirring until it thickens.
- Add sugar and continue cooking until the mixture is dry.
- Put the hot mixture into the prepared container cover and leave to set.
- Unmould the cake and serve.