People have a very bad notion about “Junk Foods” – which literally means rubbish, non-sense, non-nutritive food. If you ask someone to prepare a list for these junk foods, the list will invariably include Pizza, Pasta, Burger, French Fries, Hotdog. Many will include Chowmin, Spring Roll, Momos, Maggi Noodles in list of junk food. But unfortunately, these western foods are now getting more and more popular among young groups. Outlet of these are opening every day in smaller to bigger cities to cater to these young groups (and many middle-aged and older group also).
First, let us analyze what is wrong with this food.
One – They are made of Maida (wheat minus fibre);
Two – They contain high-fat animal foods (Chicken, Mutton, Cheese, and Cream);
Three – They contain oil fried items. These bad items can create heart disease, increase weight.
Can we modify these to make them healthier? To counter the lack of fibre two things can be done – add more Salads and Vegetables to these items. Maida can be replaced with wheat wherever possible. To counter the second problem of high-fat animal food, we must turn to vegetarian varieties of these foods and replace Cheese, Cream with low-fat curd mixed with Salad and Vegetable. Tomato chutneys, Mint Chutneys, non-fat dressings can also be used. The third point was the use of deep-fried items. Instead of cutlet being fried, we can use roasted cutlets (made on non-stick utensils or grilled oven) in the burger.
In this modern world, many of us do not have time to cook, so these fast foods are proving handy. New tastes have developed. So we have no options left. We must bring out the modified version for all these foods.
Zero Oil Pizza
• 8 Bread slices/Small Pizza Base
• ½ tsp Green Chili Sauce
• 1 tsp Tomato Sauce
• 1 cup finely chopped Onion
• 1 cup finely chopped Green Capsicum
• 1 cup finely chopped Cabbage
• 1 cup finely chopped carrot
• 1 cup ripe tomato pulp
• Ground Black Pepper to taste
• Salt to taste
• 1 cup steamed Soya Chunks
- Heat a pan. Add onion and cook till it becomes brown with SAAOL’s zero oil method.
- Add all chopped vegetables and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add tomato pulp and cook for 1 minute.
- Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Mix chilli and tomato sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes till it gets mixed uniformly.
- Evenly spread it on bas/bread.
- Bake for 3 minutes. And serve hot.
Zero Oil Pasta
• 4 diced Tomatoes
• 1 bowl boiled Pasta
• 1 sliced Onion
• 2 tbsp boiled Soya Chunks
• Salt and Pepper to taste
• 2 green Chilies
- Heat a pan and fry onions in water for a minute.
- Add chillies and tomatoes. Fry again for one minute.
- Add boiled pasta, pepper and salt.
- Cook the mixture for 5 minutes and remove in a micro safe bowl.
- Spread boil grated soya chunks over it and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Tomato Pasta is ready to serve.