WEIGHT LOSS BY WAY OF EXERCISES AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES.
When we are at complete rest, most of our muscles are also not working. This is the time when our body needs the lowest number of calories. The resting cells need a bare amount of food for their living the heart beats at its lowest, the breathing is slow, the intestines move the digested food at a low pace. These activities require some least amount of calories- which is equivalent to about half to one calorie per minute. This slow rate of consumption of calories by the body is called basal or resting metabolic rate. (BMR or RMR).
On the other hand, when our body muscles become active especially when we are playing running, jogging, doing hard labor our body cells need a lot more energy. This may go up to 10 times of our basal metabolic rate. So much so when we run at the highest of our speed our body may require about 12 calories per minute.
As stated above, the balance of our intake of calorie and expenditure of calorie decide whether we will gain weight or lose weight. If we consume about 1600 calories per day and our sedentary activities lead to an expenditure of 1600 calories only our body weight will remain the same. So the two possible ways of losing weight are one -consume fewer calories in the food and two – do more exercises or physical activities. Since we have already discussed the food calories let us discuss the weight loss by way of exercises.
Depending on the calories expenditure, the physical activities can be divided into light, moderate and heavy.
Simple advice on physical activity for losing weight.
If I ask you to walk 1-2 hours every day for losing weight it may not be a practical idea simply because you do not have so much time every day. But the ideal will be walking about 30 minutes a day and some yoga exercises.
1. taking a brisk walk around the block with family, friends or coworkers.
2. Start slowly- incorporate more physical activity into your daily routine and gradually work up to the goal to improve health and manage your weight.
3. Walking up the stairs instead of taking the elevator when it is safe to do so.
4. Be comfortable- wear comfortable shoes and clothes, and ones that are appropriate to the activity you are doing.
5. Parking your car further away from entrances of sores, movie theatre or your home and walk the distance when it is safe to do so.
6. Get Support- encourage your family and friends to support you and join you in your activity, play with your children outsides.
7. Think variety like jogging, swimming cycling and playing.
8. Follow a routine and go for a walk at least once a day in the morning or in the evening.