Coriander is indispensable spice in the kitchen. It gives good flavor to dish, because of this property coriander seed (Dhaniya) and fresh leaves are common used in every kitchen to prepare tasty dishes. The fresh leaves are an ingredient in many Indian foods (Such as curries, chutneys and salads). Coriander leaves constitute one of the richest source of Vitamin ‘C’. All parts of the coriander plant are eatable, but the fresh coriander leaves and the dried seeds (Dhaniya) are parts most traditionally used in cooking. Coriander leaves also called as Coriandrum sativums, Chinese parsley, Cilantro, Dhania patta.
Local names of Coriander in India: –
Kothimbir/Dhane (Marathi), Dhaniya/Dhania patta/ Hara patta (Hindi), Malliyila (Malayalam), Kothimeera/dhaniyaly (Telugu), Kottamalli (Tamil), Kottambari Soppu (Kannada), Dhonay Paatha (Bengali), Kothmiri, Dhana (Gujarati), Hara Patta (Punjabi).
Coriander or cilantro is a wonderful source of dietary fiber, manganese, iron and magnesium as well. In addition, coriander leaves are rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin K and protein. They also contain small amounts of calcium, phosphorous, potassium, thiamin, niacin and carotene.
Health benefits of Coriander
Some of the coriander health benefits are mentioned below:
• It is rich in immune-boosting antioxidants. Coriander offers several antioxidants, which prevent cellular damage caused by free radicals. Its antioxidants have been shown to fight inflammation in your body.
• Coriander helps in Skin related disorders.
• Coriander helps in reducing cough.
• Coriander lowers bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the levels of good cholesterol (HDL).
• A very good food for digestive system, coriander promotes liver functions and bowel movements.
• Coriander is good for diabetes patients. It can stimulate the insulin secretion and lower the blood sugar levels.
• Vitamin K in it is good for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
• The fat soluble vitamin and antioxidant – Vitamin A, protects from lung and cavity cancers.
• Coriander contains anti-inflammatory properties. This is why it is good against inflammatory diseases such as arthritis.
• Coriander’s anti-septic properties help to cure mouth ulcer.
• Coriander is good for the eyes. Antioxidants in coriander prevent eye diseases. It’s a good remedy in the treatment of conjunctivitis.
• Coriander seeds are especially good for the menstrual flow.
• Coriander helps those suffering from anaemia. Coriander contains high amounts of iron, which is essential for curing anemia.