Sugarcane is an established source of sugar. Sugarcane is one of the main crops used in the production of sugar. 70% of the world’s sugar is made from sugarcane and the remaining 30% comes from the sugar beet crop. However, this is not the case for the sugarcane grown in India that happens to be the second-largest producer of sugarcane, after Brazil. A lot of the sugarcane grown in India is first used to make gur (jaggery) followed by khandsari (unrefined or brown sugar), and then sugar which is processed using chemicals and sulphur. The remaining fibrous mass can be used as fuel, or to make paper or sound insulating boards and in some countries, it’s used even to make alcohol.
Sugarcane juice is a drink that is relished across the country during the hot summer months. A glass of chilled sugarcane juice does not just quench your thirst like little else can, but also gives you an instant boost of energy that effectively counteracts the lethargy brought on by the summer heat. Many of our body’s electrolytes are lost through sweat during the summer months, making the body dehydrated and starved of glucose. Sugarcane juice is the perfect remedy for this afternoon slump that overtakes us during the summers.
Benefits of Sugarcane
1. One of the most important health benefits of sugarcane juice is that it is a diuretic which means that it helps treat urinary tract infections, kidney stones and ensure proper functioning of the kidneys.
2. According to Ayurveda, sugarcane juice helps strengthen your liver and is thus suggested as a remedy for jaundice.
3. Sugarcane juice exhibits laxative properties thereby improving bowel movement and relieving constipation. Sugarcane juice also has an alkaline property that means it’s good for treating acidity and stomach burns.
4. Sugarcane juice is alkaline in nature because of the high concentration of calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, and manganese, which helps prevent diseases like cancer, which cannot survive in an alkaline environment. Thus it helps in fighting various types of cancer such as prostate and breast cancer
5. It also prevents heart diseases and stroke as it helps decrease the levels of unhealthy or cholesterol and triglycerides.
6. As sugarcane juice reduces the bad cholesterol levels in the body and has natural sugars, it helps in reducing weight. It is high in soluble fibre which aids in shedding weight.