The term junk food itself defines the foods that do no good to your body and they are completely unimportant to the body. Junk foods have no or very less nutritional value. All they are high in fats and sugar components and also excess of salts and lack any fibre. The only reason for their gaining popularity and increased trend of consumption is that they are ready to eat or easy to cook foods.
For times like today, if health and fitness is the mantra, then you need to refuse junk food and switch to healthy and lighter meals. Also, the food should be home-cooked. Give up on eating pizzas, burgers, momos, pastries etc. Replace in-between snacks with healthy options like poha, chana chaat, murmura chaat, fruit juices, coconut water, lemonade. These foods not only protect the body but also save the body from harm.
Disadvantages of Junk Food
When you feel like eating something and think of food, the things come to mind first, are the taste, odour or colour. Those who have to look after their weight will think of the portion size, many others think of energy, fats, sugars, vitamins or minerals. But do you know that the food we eat may cause side effects and a list of disadvantages.
- The most common bad effect is obesity, which has become very common even amongst children aged as low as 3-5 years and causes many other chronic diseases and hormonal imbalances in the obese person.
- High sodium levels are a defining characteristic of many junk foods and one of the contributing factors to the overconsumption of salt that typifies the Western diet and contributes to high blood pressure and heart, liver and kidney diseases.
- Heart diseases, increased levels of blood pressure and sugar are more likely to happen if the person is a regular consumer of oily junk foods.
- Not only heart, but the liver can be damaged due to excessive cholesterol formed in the body due to junk food habits.
- More people are diabetic early in life because they eat junk food more often.
- No fibre in junk food means a strain on the stomach and digestive system resulting in the problem of constipation.