Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the world. It is also one of the main causes of death in India and is killing more and more people throughout the world. Foods are neither good nor bad, but some are more healthful than others. Gone are the days when a healthy heart diet meant filling up on tasteless, boring meals. The latest Dietary advice for reducing heart disease risk includes eating a balanced diet with more fresh fruits and vegetables, and delicious recipes, which are prepared by “Zero Oil Cooking”. Then you can make your heart and the rest of your cardiovascular system even healthier by selecting more foods of your choice, from the SAAOL Food Pyramid. In this pyramid, food is categorized in six parts, from the most healthful, heart disease reversal food to the least healthful. One can choose food products from any part of the pyramid according to his likes and desire of getting healthy.
- FOODS IN GROUP “0” i.e. BEST OF THE BEST are, in general, the most healthful amongst, heart disease reversal diet. These foods are rich in soluble fibre, niacin, calcium, phytoestrogens, that help in reducing cholesterol level in body and also help in the reversal of the heart blockage. These foods are predominantly Oats, Methi, Arjuna, Amla, Soya, Skimmed Milk, Tofu, green apple.
- FOODS IN GROUP “1” i.e. BEST foods are predominantly fruits, vegetables, pulses based foods which are reversal heart disease diet. The food items included in this group are high in fibre. Most fibre-rich foods are low in fat, which makes them a great choice for a healthy heart. And they’re also packed with vitamins, minerals and naturally occurring plant chemicals called phytochemicals. A particular type of fibre called soluble fibre may also help to lower blood cholesterol levels. This type of fibre is found in some fruits, vegetables, oats, barley and pulses such as beans, lentils and peas all low-fat foods that are also a great choice if you’re also trying to lose weight.
In this group following foods are included:
• All Zero Oil Vegetables
• All types of Salad
• Fruits: Oranges, Mousambi, Papaya, Guava, Pineapple, Apple, Watermelon, Muskmelon, Pomegranate, Rasbarry, Pear, Cherries.
• Juices: Orange juice, Mix Fruit Juice, Alma Drink, Fruit Punch, Fruit Shake, Jaljeera, Lime Drink, Spiced Buttermilk, Mango Panna.
• Cereals: Wheat preparations, zero oil namkeens, rice preparations, brown bread, bajra, jowar, vermicelli, brown rice, corn, millets, oatmeal, Saool samosa, Saoolkachori.
• Proteins: Soybeans, Tofu, Sprouts, Bangal gram whole, Bengal gram dal, roasted Chana, Cow pea, Green gram dal, Zero oil Dal, Buttermilk Kadhi, Dal Dhokli, Dal Miloni, Kadhi with Pakora, Dal Makhni, Sambhar, Sindhikhadi, Tomato Rasam.
• Sweets in natural form: Raisins, apricot, Dates, Figs, Jaggery.
• Sweets in small quantity: 2 tea spoon sugar, one piece of any sweet without oil/ghee.
- FOODS IN GROUP “2” i.e. NOT GOOD foods may be defined as Least harmful foods are included in this group. These foods are higher in fat, but not much harmful for the heart. The food items included in this group are: 5-10 gram Olive oil, two pieces of Walnut (10-20 grams) or ten pieces of Almond (10 grams) or 20 gram of Ground nut, tea/coffee (with milk) not more than 200ml per day; White bread.
- FOODS IN GROUP “3” i.e. BAD (less harmful) diet for heart. This group is subdivided in two parts; 3A and 3B, on the basis of cholesterol content and fat content:
Grade 3A: Sea fish, boiled fish, small fishes, small amount of cod liver oil, Cow’s or Buffalo milk, full cream milk, Rasgulla, Sandesh, MisthiDahi, Paneer, Health Ice cream, low fat cheese.
Grade 3B: Vegetables prepared with 5 -10 grams or minimum oil; oils should be Mono/poly mixture and less of Saturated fat, shallow fried items (Cheela), Shallow fried cutlets, Cold drink.
- FOODS IN GROUP “4” i.e. WORSE, this group include fish, chicken in fried form, and other fried food items. These foods are very bad or can be said highly harmful for the heart. This group is divided in two parts, 4A and 4B on the basis of cholesterol content and fat content. It includes:
Grade 4A: Meat preparation: Fried fish, Chicken in roasted form, Chicken Pizza
Milk Preparation: Fried Paneer, Pizza with Cheese
Grade 4B: Bhujia, Namkeens, Masala Dosa (with oil), Puri, Paratha, Chips, Pickles with Oil, Coconut Chutney.
- FOOD IN GROUP “5” i.e. WORST in general least healthful foods or the most harmful for health. They are the lowest in protective substances and the highest in “Bad Fats” (especially Trans fatty acids and saturated fat). This group includes:
Grade 5A: Meat preparations: Mutton, Beef, Liver, Brain, Egg Yolk, Fried Chicken
Milk Preparations: Ice cream, Rabri, Cream, Mayonnaise, condensed milk
Grade 5B: Ghee, Butter, Pastry, GulabJamun, Nuts & Dry Fruits, all types of oils in large amounts, Jalebi etc.
The SAAOL food Pyramid is just a guide. Other factors can change a food’s category including the type of food, the amount of it, and other food’s it is consumed with.