In 1997 a research study called DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) was carried out in the USA. About 500 patients of high BP were divided into three groups one group took low fruits, low vegetables, excess fats, and milk/milk products (Grossly unhealthy diet and an average American takes). The second group took lots of fruits and vegetables but also took excess amount of fats and milk/milk products (less healthy diet). The third group took extra fruits, extra vegetables, extra cereals and cut down intake of fats, milk/milk products (most healthy diet).
The result showed that the blood pressure came down in the second group and the third group showed a maximum reduction.
The DASH diet analyzed and showed that increased intake of Potassium, Calcium, and Magnesium reduced the blood pressure in high Blood pressure patients.
All the three are present in excess in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes. Green leafy vegetables and legumes contain a very good amount of calcium and Magnesium.
If you want to follow the DASH diet in India you should do the following:
- Have a glass of fruit juice or vegetable juice in the breakfast.
- Take some cereal (corn, wheat, whole rice) and add extra berries and slices of banana in it.
- Eat salad compulsorily and greens in your Sandwich or roti or rice.
- Add tomato, sprouts, and greens in your Sandwich or roti or rice.
- Take baked potato; vegetables made from Broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. Vegetables must be taken in plenty.
- Avoid meat, cheese, and fried food.
- Have plenty of green vegetables as salads.
- Take low-fat milk or curd.