Coconut water, less commonly coconut juice, is the clear liquid inside coconuts. The liquid inside young coconuts is often referred to as the liquid of a ripened coconut. Plain coconut water has long been a popular drink in tropical countries, where it is available fresh, canned, or bottled. Coconut water can be fermented to produce coconut vinegar. Coconut Water is low in calories, naturally free of fat and cholesterol, more potassium than four bananas, and super hydrating. It contains easily digested carbohydrates in the form of sugar and electrolytes. Not to be confused with high-fat coconut milk or oil, coconut water is a clear liquid in the fruit’s centre that is tapped from young, green coconuts.
Benefits of Coconut Water:
1. Drinking coconut water may be helpful to reduce heart disease risk. Animal study suggests that coconut water may have powerful cholesterol-lowering properties.
2. Coconut water contains antioxidants that protect your cells from damage caused by free radicals.
3. Coconut water may help lower blood pressure and potentially decrease the risk of blood clots forming in your arteries.
4. Coconut water is effective at replenishing fluids and electrolytes after exercise.
5. Coconut water’s natural electrolytes make it a solid match for traditional sports drinks. Made without added sugar, food colouring, or artificial sweeteners, many people reach for coconut water as a more natural performance drink.
6. Amino acids are essential for repairing tissues and are the building blocks of protein. Coconut water contains more alanine, arginine, cysteine, and serine than cow’s milk. It’s a major source of arginine, an amino acid that helps your body respond to stress (like the stress caused by a difficult workout). Arginine may also help keep the heart health
7. The hormones that help plants grow, also known as cytokinins, are also found in coconut water. These compounds are believed to have anti-ageing and cancer-fighting properties. However, to date, no major studies have shown that coconut water wards off cancer.